This is a very difficult question, because there are many different ways people grow and change. Therapy has been proven to be beneficial for many people and I believe most people who struggle could benefit from therapy. I also know that it is a big time and financial commitment. Here are some things to consider when making this decision.
For a couple:
- Do I feel happy in our relationship most of the time?
- Do I have a sense of peace in myself as well as my partner?
- Do I trust my partner and myself?
- Do we still try to have fun and do positive things for each other?
- Do we have at least 5 positive interactions to every negative interaction?
- Is there a lot of defensiveness, stonewalling, or criticism in our interactions?
- Is there any contempt (e.g. eye rolling, name calling, etc.)?
If the answer to any of the first 5 are no, or yes to the last 2 you would benefit from seeking out help. If the last question was answered yes, you are likely heading for divorce. Please call me at 916-524-0284 or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a Family/ Children:
- Do you feel that you can openly talk to your children and they can talk to you?
- Do you have at least 5 positive interactions to every negative interaction?
- Do you handle stress well as a family?
- Are your children struggling with school or socially?
- Has there been any sudden change in your child's behavior?
- Does your child harm themself, threaten suicide, or appear depressed or angry most of the time?
If the answer is no to the first 3 or yes to the last three questions you would likely benefit from therapy. Please call me at 916-524-0284 or e-mail me at email@example.com.
For an individual:
- Do I feel confident in who I am and where I am going in life?
- Do I find fulfillment in my relationships with others?
- Do I want to get out of bed each morning and face life?
- Do I have difficulties with any area in my life because of a past event in my life?
- Do I struggle in more than one area of my life (e.g. home, school, work, with friends, etc.)?
If no was answered to any of the 1st 3 questions and yes to 4 or 5 you probably could benefit from therapy. If more than 1 question indicates concern, I hope you have the courage to call soon. Call me at 916-524-0284 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also take some of the self tests on my website to find out about particular disorders...
You will be amazed at how quickly things can get back on track. Usually within 3-6 sessions you will feel better. It takes 3-6 months or 12-24 sessions to master the changes and maintain change on your own.